The mangoes are probably straight from the can. Generally, restaurants use
canned alphonso mangoes to make the icecream....

Doubt that was the case at Rasika -- they made a show of adding the
dessert special right after the US-India mango deal was all over the press
(there was an article about Indian mangoes in the Wash Post, for example),
and my sense is that it is too fancy a restaurant to risk false advertising
along those lines. Also, the dessert was mangoes with ice cream, not mango
ice cream -- they certainly tasted fresh to me.

DK