Aaah, the much awaited addition of arguments to the thread. ;-)

Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
> At 2007-07-13 09:37:29 +0530, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> All were just "people" who had (as far as I know) free access
>> to travel to areas that they felt they needed to travel to on
>> pilgrimage no matter which ruler was in charge of a given area.
>
> What does "free access" mean?

Free as in you do not pay a country money to enter it. But, you are
right. Visas was predominantly non-existent at that time.

> Pilgrims were, at that time, preyed upon by bandits along every part of
> their route where the local ruler did not, for whatever reason, protect

Isn't this a matter of human nature? Prey upon the weak. I don't think
that this was something specific to this part of the world.

> them effectively. During a typical pilgrimage, I understand they ended
> up paying significant amounts to bandits, and selected their routes to
> pass through the most friendly kingdoms as far as possible. Whether a
> given ruler treated them well seems to have been a toss up, and often
> did depend on the religion of both parties (e.g. Shaivite kings might
> not give two hoots about Vaishnavite pilgrims, etc.).

I don't think the Shaivism or Vaishnavism has anything to do with taking
care of guests. As far as my limited knowledge goes, kings used to
deliberately invite people who had a different viewpoint to foster
cultural growth and it was a matter of pride for them to do it.

>> No similar records of people being prevented from travelling to the
>> pilgrim centers of Badrinath and Kedarnath. Or the yet to be pillaged
>> temple at Somnath.
>
> There are certainly several such records. Since you mention Somnath,

So there were instances where rulers prevented visitors from entering
temples? Please provide relevant evidence.

> have you read Romila Thapar's book about Somnath? It's very good.

ISBN number would be appreciated.

>> Modern day Kandahar in Afghanistan has a name derived from Gandhari,
>> after a girl from a Kingdom in that area who married Dhritarashtra
>
> Uhm, surely you're not serious?

I think Kandahar and Gandhari are related. It is possible that she was
named after the kingdom/place. There are instances of
kings/princes/princesses taking the name of the place they hail from.
There was a kingdom known as Gandhara and Gandhari was their princess
who married a blind king called Dhritarastra. Again, the biggest problem
in making this believable is a lack of written history. But there are
researchers who are discovering new things everyday.