Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
> OK, I'll try to remember that the next time I want to call a people
> hostile. But what relevance does it have to what I actually wrote in
> *this* discussion?

*** Whether a given ruler treated them well seems to have been a toss
up, and often did depend on the religion of both parties (e.g. Shaivite
kings might not give two hoots about Vaishnavite pilgrims, etc.). ***

It has relevance to the above statement you made a few email earlier.

> I made no attempt to define or discuss anything about hostility. Are you
> actually reading what I'm writing, or are you arguing with someone else?
> Someone made of straw, perhaps?

See above statement you made. I think it meant that the king was *not
friendly*, *indifferent*. The actions of such kings can be defined as
hostile. (1)

Wish I were arguing with someone made of straw. :-) I might have been
able to convince or be convinced...

>> The point was to rebut your argument that Shaivite kings cared two
>> hoots for Vaishnavites and vice versa.
>
> I think you missed a "didn't" there. I also don't see how you've
> rebutted my argument (never mind that it was merely an example).

Thank you for catching the typo.

> I see. And so the people who know what it really was should MAKE them
> believe it. Sounds good to me.

I agree with you. When I see that person, I will let him know.

http://www.livius.org/ga-gh/gandara/gandara.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kandahar
http://ignca.nic.in/nl002503.htm

> Another complete non sequitur plucked from the ether.

agreed.

(1) http://www.elook.org/dictionary/hostile.html