Reading the article, I cannot help feel that this statement of ......."Even
the dirty, black-spotted onions serve a function. For the average Indian,
dusty and dirty produce means fresh from the farm, he says."..... - is a
cover-up for the mix of good, not so good and bad stuff (all in the same
basket / barrel) that Big / Food Bazaar is pushing more often lately.
Bottom-line, the quality of products and produce there has gone down from
what it was earlier.  I wonder whether stocking packaged products dirty on
the outside, greasy cooking oil sachets, partially torn-out labels are part
of the 'making it chaotic' plan.  Anyone who has been to any of their
'Annual Sales' or even casually looked up their electronics section would
have noticed that a lot of the so-called branded goods selling at 'highly'
discounted prices are actually scratched, dented at places and were possibly
on display / demonstration in other stores.

I hasten to add that I have only been inside 2 of the Big / Food Bazaar
stores - the ones in Gurgaon and Noida, New Delhi.

In the long run isn't the "India Two: the drivers, maids, cooks, nannies,
farmers and others who serve India One" more likely to return to the types
of - a lane dedicated to a vegetable seller collective...  In fact, in
Delhi, there are temporary fairs / bazaars that are held on the road-side
one day of the week in various areas across the city - where the 'India Two'
and the lower-middle class people normally shop and get their best bargain.

my 2p

Anil KUMAR

Let's never go shopping together, emmm ok?