On 8/23/07, shiv sastry  wrote:

> On Thursday 23 Aug 2007 6:21 am, Indrajit Gupta wrote:
> > Wouldn't any Indian author asked to write on Pakistan at 60 tend to
> compare
> > Pakistan with his own country?
>
> No IG. Not necessarily. At least, I don't  think so.
>
> shiv

I think it would be quite impossible not to make a comparison, since the
very creation of pakistan is tied to the partition, so there was a tangible
before (part of a bigger entity), and an after (as an independent
state)....  If you were going to write Bosnia, it would be quite natural to
compare it with Yugoslavia of which it was a part of as a different
nation...

I wonder if you have seen the Jinnah biopic movie (with christoper "count
dracula" lee as Jinnah.....) ?
While the Gandhi film essentially focuses on Gandhi vs the British, the
Jinnah film is about a freedom movement where the struggle is on two
fronts.... one against the british, and one for fighting for a new islamic
homeland.....