On 9/19/07, Biju Chacko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Venky (Hariharan) would be able to comment more on this, but when I
> was in Red Hat I remember working on a proposed curriculum that was
> neutral. It had items like "How to use a Word Processor" rather than
> "How to use MS Word" or even "How to use OpenOffice.org". It had
> suggestions for what software could be used to teach the curriculum,
> with both FOSS and proprietary software listed.
>
> FOSS doesn't deserve to become ubiquitous if the only way it can do so
> is by reservations (affirmative action in US lingo).

I agree with Biju. What we have been consistently proposing as part of Red
Hat is that the education system must teach principles and not products. It
should also not endorse brand names. Slowly we are seeing this arguement
gaining traction. Part of the Kerala syllabus for IT is available at:

http://www.education.kerala.gov.in/eng_infortec.htm

A cursory check reveals that most of these examples are Linux based (or
GNU/Linux to use their exact terminology :-) but they do speak about Windows
also.

For those who are interested in public policy, I would recommend reading the
Kerala Government's IT Policy:

http://www.keralaitmission.org/web/main/ITPolicy-2007.pdf

I really liked it because it starts with a vision of how to build an
inclusive information society unlike most IT policies which are cut and dry
documents detailing various tax sops to industry. Also, having met some of
the people behind this policy, I must say that I have great respect for
their intentions and their ability to implement them in real life. In a
country where policy documents are nothing but pious intentions, the Kerala
policy makers are a refreshing change. I hope from the bottom of my heart
that they succeed.

Venky