On Nov 6, 2007 9:55 AM, Charles Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) Food
> 2) More food
> 3) Good food

Lots of this to be had. Try both the local Keralan cuisine and also
the fusion cuisine. There are some good cookbooks on Malayalee cuisine
available as well.

> 4) History

Fort Kochi is good. Also, many good books available.

> 5) Culture

Kathakali / Mohini attam are great to watch. If you are interested,
maybe visit an Ayurveda hospital (not one of those massage places).

> My friends are Jewish btw (as is my sweetie Debbie FWIW) and that is
> one of the reasons we're going to Cochin.
>
> (FWIW "Jew Town" would probably be offensive to most Jews, but we will
> be visiting Cochin's Jewish Quarter and synagogues for sure.)

IMO, Jew Town, despite the name, is not offensive. In addition to the
Mattancherry synagogue, walk around the the place and observe
abandoned houses and the Jewish graveyard.

> So why ARE there so few Jews in India? I know that historically there
> were thriving Jewish communities. Is it because they, in general,
> supported the Raj? Is it because of some form of historical leftist
> anti-semitism?

There are a couple of good books available about this. I suspect that
the creation of Israel and its liberal immigration policy to the
diaspora (including the Baghdadi jews of Kerala) also contributed to
the exodus out of India.

Thaths
--
Bart: I want to be emancipated.
Homer: Emancipated?! Don't you like being a dude?