I don't mean to hurt anyone, although it is possible that people may feel
hurt.

I apologize in advance for any hurt I may cause as I post opinions.

What I write below are OPINIONS. Not research findings.

Using Google it is easy to find references that point to the failure of
Sociology in India. One paper spoke of sociology in India being a "tired"
specialty. Another spoke of failure to address really big issues.

My life revolves around talking to people and hearing their innermost secrets
and I am faced with a whole lot of questions. Sometimes, answers to those
questions seem come by chance when I am reading Western literature. At other
times people make serendipitous observations that seem to have truth in them

I tend to think that India has a very narrow base of scholarship. In the last
60 years the entire country has rushed headlong into technical education and
the humanities have been badly neglected. Day to day issues affecting Indian
society are not addressed at all by the miniscule body of Indian
sociologists.  Some questions have no answers except the chance observations
by Western sociologists studying India and Indians. Neither the government
nor corporate bodies come forward as far as I can tell to fund research in
departments of sociology, and I suspect that the little sociology there is in
India is funded by meager grants from some NGO or the other.  I don't really
know for sure.

I believe that sociology in India is "massive work waiting to be done". None
of the major issues that crop up have been addressed at all even though they
stare you in the face or hit you between the eyes.

I saw one reference that said that India had 15,000 sociologists, but only
1700 had registered with the association, and the number of papers being
published was far fewer than that from a Finland. The blame for that is laid
on the forced need for English and th lack of English competence among Indian
sociologits, with no mechanism for them to write in their mother tongues.

Is sociology neglected or not in India?