> Just *boot* it out and replace with Ubuntu. It is not just the cost of
> the OS. The other apps add up. What people don't understand that a
> linux
> OS does not just replace Windows, but also Office, AntiVirus, Firewall,
> Outlook, MS Project, Anti-Spyware.... all those apps that cost you
> money.

Oh, right. When a pirated copy of XP, and office, can be had for dirt cheap?

Advocacy is great, but naïve advocacy doesn’t really help.

Yes it is listed as a "best practice" to "educate people" not to use pirated
software, in my botnet toolkit - but I could sure wish for the moon while I'm
at it. So I have a few other suggestions in there .. working to provide this
kind of stuff to cybercafés, school and college labs etc where a lot of people
access the Internet. And then find projects like those ELCOT is executing for
the tamil nadu government, setting up Linux PCs for govt offices.

http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/cyb/cybersecurity/projects/botnet.html - poke around
at the background paper, especially the last few pages.