On Jan 22, 2008 7:54 AM, Srini Ramakrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My questions about India were really to show that xenophobia style
> territorial jealousy exists - even towards fellow Indians, and it's
> fairly common.

In fact, it is an absolute miracle that India is still, for most part, a
single country. When the Brits left, they had absolutely no hope for India.
The differences of language, caste, clan, region etc, they believed, would
eventually break India into a thousand pieces. And that brings me to the
point about feeling insecure in a post-911 paranoid US. Having been born in
a tam brahm family (a curious mix of being at the top of the food chain and
yet, vegetarian), and having lived mostly in urban settings, I have rarely
been discriminated against, and rarely been the victim of xenophobia within
India.

Would somebody born into a lower-caste non-urban family in India typically
view this as a non-issue, having been on the wrong side of xenophobic
violence and discrimination for many generations past?