On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 06:24:36AM +0530, Deepa Mohan wrote:
> So...you techies...tell me....what IS so evil about this top posting
> thing? I have had so many disgusted YM messages/phone call from Udhay

when you top post it is typically by quoting the entire message and adding a
few lines above. the next person does the same and you end up with the entire
history being carried forward in each message. (this sounds like something
abhishek should appreciate, actually.) this wastes bandwidth. as i wrote, the
alternative objection to top posting, that the quoted text is below the
response, is a misunderstanding of the original reasons for avoiding it.

nobody really "bottom posts" by quoting the entire message and adding a couple
of lines at the bottom, because no mail programme does that by default and
nobody would read what you wrote at the bottom.

of course, none of this really matters, since bandwidth is more readily
available today. but many of us on silk list are grumpy and old (in internet
time) and wear the bottoms of our trousers rolled.

> Rishab, I used to type only lower case for many years, and then had to
> give it up as being reader-unfriendly; I got a lot of complaints.

as for lower case, i have seen style guides that admonish one against the use
of lower case, since "You are not ee cummings. to which i respond, on the
internet nobody knows you're a dog. how do you know i am not ee cummings?

IM is after my time, i am used to text-based irc, so i can't comment. i wish
there was an etymology of emoticons. i only recently learned that <3 is a
heart, and i thought i knew them all; is this a (relatively) recent symbol?

-rishab