another U.S. first — from Monday , larger food chains
such as McDonald's, Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks must
display the calories of their products on menus.

Heh. I have a placemat I've saved from a McDo's in Switzerland because it claims (which I believe) that they use swiss beef, by displaying a picturesque alpine pasture, hanging off the side of a mountain with maybe 20 head visible (which I rather doubt depicts their regular supplier).

On the back, they not only list kcal and serving size, but also: protein, carbs, of which sugars, fat, of which saturated, fiber, and salt. These are followed by entries for possible allergens: gluten, eggs, dairy, fish, crustaceans, soy, peanuts, other nuts, sesame, celery, mustard, and sulfites.

(it appears that a 600 kcal venti java chip frappucino lies right in between a Big Mac (495) and a Chicken Mythic (700); compare that to the 10 kcal for a cup of coffee!)

Rather than asking people to do sums or manipulate percentages, might it be easier to convince them to eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full?

-Dave

(weird: http://www.mcdonaldsmenu.info/ has local entries for Azerbaijan, but not for the US. What's up with that?)