On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Aadisht Khanna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would like to pick the list's intelligence on an issue I have been facing.
>
>  CRY approached me this month for a contribution, and I gave them six

my father used to donate to CRY and in return they used to send us
nice looking brochures, pamphlets, stickers (all of which he felt was
a waste of money), pictures of kids and suchlike. As i grew older i
too started wondering if taking out half-page adverts in local dailies
and magazines was the best way to use donated money and whether i can
even call the marketing/PR events (with celebrities to boot) as
charity using OPM (other peoples money).

>    3. In addition to the organisational effectiveness of the charity, I
>    also want to discriminate in the type of charities/ projects I donate to.

Ask the charitable organisation if you could get information about how
your money is used, if you are very particular about it. IIRC there
are some causes where you could specify where the donated amount
should be used but i dont know any Indian charities that facilitate
such demands from donors.

If you dont care about tax benefits your monthly (small) amounts can
make a BIG difference than an accumulated lumpsum. Maybe the latter
gives more satisfaction of having made a difference ... not sure :-)

Alternatively if you have the time, just visit the local kannada
medium government school and talk to the principal to find out if any
kids have dropped out because they cant afford the fees, uniform,
etc.. and do the needful. If you are the type that likes getting
involved then there are such groups too.  I know an organisation that
works with the visually impaired and disabled. The latter sell
products manufactured by them as the sole means of supporting the
disabled as it gives them a sense of self-worth. I agree since i find
the disabled folks very friendly and eager to share their knowledge
and they take pride in their work.

So echoing others here : it is _your_ money and _your_ call :)