Rishab Aiyer Ghosh [03/05/08 22:50 +0200]:
i know suresh will complain of EFF exaggeration, but it does annoy me
that it's perfectly legal for US customs agents to search laptops [1].
it's just not clear what for. i do believe some other countries
occasionally run searches for pirated movies.

Well, I've never had a laptop checked so far (and indeed it'd be crazily
long lines if everybody with a laptop got checked).
This is not very new .. has always been the case, but reaffirmed by a
ruling I think.  Earlier, the TSA was being blamed for it till they
clarified that this was a US CBP issue, nothing to do with them at all

They tend to use it to catch (say) perverts with a laptop full of child
porn .. and use it as a catchall to mine for incriminating data.

And no, I dont go after the EFF that often. Unless they try their usual
political guerilla campaigns on spam filtering issues.

        suresh