On Sunday 18 May 2008 1:26:50 am Rishab Aiyer Ghosh wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 15:14 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > > 4. The future markets based in US & Europe (controlled
> > > by Rich Jews) is deliberately playing the markets to
> >
> > I was unaware that bigotry was considered "reasonable discourse" on
> > this mailing list.
>
> the post was citing the saudi press. "controlled by Rich Jews" is
> perhaps a common phrase there.

Hah! I missed that sentence - but no excuses - I didn't read it properly
<slaps self on wrist>

Perry's question IMO is not unreasonable, but it shows up bigotry that we live
with in international relations pretending that "normal discourse" is
occurring, ignoring the bigotry that is mocking us and hitting us in our
faces.

This quotation about rich Jews is only a whiff of that. I am referring of
course to the state of Saudi Arabia and guidelines that are written in black
and white in the Koran.

In "reasonable discourse" the words I have written above are usually called
Islamophobia. But the Koran itself specifically singles out Jews for
punishment - basically for being Jewish. To ask a rhetorical question, does
bigotry become bigotry only if it does not have sanction in some holy book or
other?

To be perfectly honest - I discussed the views I have posted above with my
brother, who is currently visiting because of a bereavement in the family. He
pointed out to me that some things have a cultural connotation that is "more
serious" in some countries. A specific example he made was the
word "Gollywog" - which to many Indians only connotes a black doll in a
series of children's books by Enid Blyton and does not carry the same meaning
that it would carry in the West. However - anyone who understands that
Gollywog is offensive will be able to stop using it without claiming that it
is in his sacred text, so there's a difference. IMVHO of course.

shiv