On Sun, 18 May 2008, Jim Grisanzio wrote:
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
I would much rather be hitting this curve due to refining capacity than to declines in the amount of oil being pulled out of the ground. If we could refine all we could pull, then total reserves would decline that much more quickly, and the wall we would hit (when oil really does start to run out) would be much sharper than it would be if prices crept up slowly from here on out, giving us a generation or two to switch to alternatives rather than just a few years.

I totally agree with this. But with demand now rising so fast globally, will we hit that inevitable decrease in supply that much sooner? Behavior is changing, sure, but I'm not sure current prices in the US are high enough yet to really move the government (I'm talking about the next government, not the current one, of course) to invest in alternatives in a way that is serious enough to re-tool the country's energy infrastructure.

If all the U.S. government did was eliminate its subsidies to the petroleum industry, it wouldn't have to do anything more - $8/gal gas would compel alternatives all on their own. Lots of nations subsidies petroleum, not just the oil-producing ones; that will become less sustainable as prices go and remain high. Iran's in big big trouble because of this - they passed their peak crude-extraction years awhile ago and have been net importers of refined fuel for quite awhile, yet the government controls the price of fuel to be somewhere around 42 cents per gallon:

http://www.iranian.ws/iran_news/publish/article_24506.shtml

A lot depends on *how* China's and India's new wealth turns into consumer demand. In the same way that mobile phone technologies avoided the need for expensive land line infrastructures (and the monopolies they created), let's hope the new Chinese middle class gives up their bikes for electric cars (powered from nuclear or wind or whatever) rather than petro cars. There are some encouraging signs - the Tata nano car gets 60 mpg, from what I understand - but other discouraging signs, like the continued growth of electrical generation from coal in both China and India. Without carbon emissions controls (like a cap n trade system that includes China and India), there will be no economic incentive to modernize in a low-carbon-emissions way. Yet neither country wants to be a part of such a system (Kyoto, et al) as they see carbon emissions as an inevitable result of economic growth to which they feel entitled. Even a sensible-sounding policy like equal per-capita emissions limits would mean a huge emissions cieling would need to be created, nevermind bringing us down from current worldwide emissions levels. The only pathway out is to make it expensive to emit and pollute, expensive for all players. The good news is that there are significant economic returns from being a non-petro-dependent economy.

        Brian