On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:09:54AM +0530, Srini Ramakrishnan wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Krish Ashok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> > But the bigger issue is what happens if they do secede and there's a sudden
> > de-escalation in military expenditure. Somebody is sure to pull some strings
> > to get a few more wars started elsewhere to make up for lost profits.
>
> Your assumption is that you are dealing with logical people who will
> stop once they have their wants fulfilled. I would love the said
> de-escalation to happen, guns and bombs are a waste of time, money and
> lives. Except, it just won't happen.

I've always found predicting the future to be a dodgy affair.

> There are large bodies of people
> on both sides of the border who are interested in keeping the feud
> going, with our without Kashmir. This is an ideological war we find
> ourselves in, there is sadly no room for logic. We didn't ask to be in
> it, but I don't see a way out. Do you?

For me, it boils down to this -- if there is a free and fair
referendum and the people of Kashmir vote to secede, I do not see
any moral or ethical way I could justify holding them back.

Will this reduce the violence in the region?  Maybe, maybe not.
Either has no bearing on the fact that holding a people against
their will is, at least in my book, a crime.

Venky (the Second).

--
One hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong.