On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Gautam John [29/08/08 14:02 +0530]:
>
>> Oota aithe? Thinde aithe? Coffee aithe? Nashta aithe? (Roughly
>> translated, eaten lunch/snack/breakfast, partaken in a cup of coffee?)
>>
>> Is this common to other cultures too?
>>

> very.
> tamil - "saaptacha?" chinese - "chifanle meiyou?" thai - "gin khao reung?"

I am not very sure about the Chinese greeting. But only speaking from my
experience in Taiwan, where I was for ten months. I did not find random
people walking up to me and asking me if I have had my food. The standard
greeting was 'ni hao' and the question about food only came up in close knit
friend circles, and that was only when it was necessary to figure out where
people were meeting and whether food was a part of the meeting up equation.

The limited time I spent in Bangkok also did not have this particular phrase
thrown at me apart from people who were directly responsible for my being
there.

>        srs

Nishant
Nishant