On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Nishant Shah [29/08/08 14:26 +0530]:
>
>  That's not just "are
> you well / have you eaten" - its also an immediate offer to get you some
> food if you're hungry. Which is why you ALWAYS answer "yes you have eaten",
> unless you know the person really well and he HAS actually invited you to
> dinner.
>
> Nobody asks you "oota madithi?" when they meet you the first time.
> Chennagitheera (are you fine / well), or namaskara (like the thai sawatdee
> kha, with the wai <- thai equiv of the namaskar).

Oh, they DO. They ask me on the bus...I gave up my seat to an elderly lady
(well, more elderly than I am!) and she smiled at me and then asked
me....The shoe repair guy asked  me....I stop to get my cycle  tyres pumped
and that guy asked me...I was wondering if I was looking either too
well-fed, or starved! It used to unnerve me until I realized that it is a
social greeting, much like "how are you?" is NOT an invitation to talk
about your piles problem.

Deepa.