On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Thaths <tha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Both good points. I too do not advocate complete manual metering.
> However, in some cases there is a definite difference between center
> weighted, spot and matrix metering. Having these options and using
> them is good and often give you a better image than you would with the
> default matrix metering.

I don't even bother with this anymore. I shoot raw and treat the photo as
raw data. As long as there are no highlights [1] and the exposure is leaning
towards the right [2], any exposure is good enough. A good photo editing app
with "Auto Correct" and "Undo" buttons does wonders.

I used to like Lightroom, but since Apple doesn't make netbooks and I can't
stand Windows, I've been trying F-Spot+UFRaw in GNOME and find it pretty
usable (Picasa doesn't read EXIF tags in raw images).

As someone holding a camera and having to make a quick decision, the only
things I look for are (a) the frame, especially (b) focus on the eyes, (c)
the balance of elements, and (d) the lighting contrast within the frame. The
rest can be deferred to software.

[1] For which, I use matrix metering and exposure compensation if there are
highlights. No spot or centre weighted for me.
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposing_to_the_right

--
Kiran Jonnalagadda
http://jace.seacrow.com/