On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Venkat Mangudi wrote, [on 3/13/2009 10:21 AM]:
>
> > You'll be surprised that many communities in the US hesitate before
> > letting Indians (all of us are the same to them) live there. I have
> > heard nasty comments about the smell of "curry" in the neighbourhood. I
> > am not saying that this discrimination is acceptable. But it's present,
> > is all I am saying.
>
> Data point:
>
> When I closed on an apartment in Campbell, CA in 1999, the super (a
> LARGE black woman) gave me an obviously well-rehearsed spiel on the
> lines of "do what you want, cook what you want, but don't make me come
> remind you that you're late with your rent."
>
> For extra irony points, my then-roomie (also Indian) said to me, "I
> don't like South Indian food." To which my response was "Great. You cook
> then."
>
> :)

When my daughter Anjana (another list-lurker) shared a room with a black
girl (have I just committed TWO faux pas or pas-es?), she made the
assumption that being a "female person of colour", her room-mate would not
be racist or intolerant. She was wrong on both counts. It took her a while
to realize that *everyone* can have pre-conceived notions and prejudices.

To set the thread adrift..Udhay..how many parent-child members are there on
Silk?

And to set it further adrift, I can never say "silk" without thinking of
the incident  Mohan seeing several  men letting other buses go, waiting for
a particular bus somewhere on the highway near Coimbatore...they said that
it was a "silukku" bus.. so he, too waited for it. When it came.it had not
even a video movie, but just...a poster of Silk Smitha (Silukku Smitha).
"Silukku" became a kind of synonym for "raunchy, sexy".

Deepa.