On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Srini RamaKrishnan <che...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 6:31 AM, Kiran K Karthikeyan
> <kiran.karthike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/3/31 Venkat Inumella <ven...@gmail.com>

>> Welcome. If you're shooting for finishing the IMDB top 250, I might be able
>> to help you if you have a region code hacked dvd player and lots of time. I
>> can also help you if you are found of Kiarostami, Bergman, Kieslowski,
>> Truffaut et al.

> I went through most of the IMDB top 250 over a period of a couple of
> months - 3 movies a day on average. I must say it got depressing since
> the movies that tend to get selected for artistic excellence are often
> very sad and unhappy.

I found the IMDB top 250 to be overly weighted towards US films and
recent films. That said they had a decent selection of Japanese films,
though no Ozu that I could see. Watching 3 movies a day I'm surprised
your brain survived. I can't imagine trying it. Yes there are a lot of
depressing movies on that list, including one of my all time favorite
depressing movies - "Hotaru no haka" aka "Graveyard of the Fireflies."
However in looking over the list, I think you may have overweighted
the depressing movies, perhaps because they are SO depressing, but
there is a reasonable balance of happy movies as well. The number 1
movie (Shawshank Redemption) is definitely a "feel good" movie for
example.

-- Charles