history also determined the form of what we know as delhi today - 7 cities
of Delhi! and then the weird connections with New Delhi. I haven't seen
Delhi since the ring road days so would be interested in seeing what
happened to the old civil lines area that has a metro now!
Also not sure NY can be accused of homogenity. Historically the irish and
the italians and other immigrant communities had fairly strong territorial
lines, hence the neighborhoods even today. it is also debatable whether the
urban planning was truly more sophisticated - separation of use and zoning
have been held responsible for a variety of ills in the last 40 years
including sterility of the streetscape, loss of Main street (residences
above and shops below-reminds me of Chandni Chowk!), crime and isolation. A
great book on this subject is Jane Jacobs' The Death and Life of Great
American cities (the reference point really is NY for this work). Robert
Moses, a very influential city planner in NY, singlehandedly destroyed
priceless artefacts of the past like Pennsylvania Station that rivaled Grand
central. Committed group of citizens recognized that his plans included
mowing down Greenwich village and SoHo and protests saved these two at
least! His preference for building infrastructure for private transit and
automobile rather than public transit is well documented and certainly gave
impetus to the destruction of many traditional neighborhoods, expansion of
ghettoes, urban flight.

On the other hand, the landscape planning in NY, thanks to the influence of
Frederick Olmstead, is of a high caliber.

> Maybe cultural and linguistic homogeneity is an assumption for the law to
> hold. I'm sure both Bombay and Delhi didn't grow in the same organic
fashion
> as US cities might have due to such barriers which are far less in the US,
> not to mention more sophisticated urban planning.