On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Ingrid <ingrid.srin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is also the stark difference in risk attached to large population
> concentrations in less-developed versus more-developed countries/regions :
> http://www.preventionweb.net/files/9414_GARsummary.pdf

Apropos of nothing, and to aid thread drift, here an old piece by Ronald
Bailey at Reason Magazine.
http://www.reason.com/news/show/117481.html

<snip>

History has shown that people prefer the opportunities and
excitement<http://www.strategy-business.com/press/article/06109?gko=8ac57&tid=230&pg=all>of
city life to rural idiocy. And the former country idiots are voting
with
their feet. While some people may be pushed by war or drought, or poverty
into cities, most people today are pulled in by the prospect of reinventing
themselves, escaping from the narrow strictures of family, class and
community, and a shot at really making it.

As humanity has urbanized, we have become ever less subject to nature's
vagaries. For instance, a globally interconnected world made possible by the
transportation networks between cities means that a crop failure in one
place can be overcome by food imports from areas with bumper crops.
Similarly resources of all types can be shifted quickly to ameliorate human
emergencies caused by the random acts of a brutal insensate nature. Autonomy
is just another word for freedom.

The further good news is that the movement of humanity's burgeoning
population into the thousand of megacities foreseen that Rifkin is part of a
process that ultimately will leave more land for nature. Today cities occupy
just 2 percent of the earth's surface, but that will likely double to 4
percent over the next half century. In order to avoid this ostensibly
terrible fate Rifkin proclaims, "In the next phase of human history, we will
need to find a way to reintegrate ourselves into the rest of the living
Earth if we are to preserve our own species and conserve the planet for our
fellow creatures." Actually, he's got it completely backwards. Humanity must
not reintegrate into nature-that way lays disaster for humanity and nature.
Instead we must make ourselves even more autonomous than we already are from
her.

Since nothing is more destructive of nature than poverty stricken
subsistence farmers, boosting agricultural productivity is the key to the
human retreat from wild nature. As Jesse Ausubel, the director for the
Program for the Human Environment at Rockefeller University, points out: "If
the world farmer reaches the average yield of today's US corn grower during
the next 70 years, ten billion people eating as people now on average do
will need only half of today's cropland. The land spared exceeds Amazonia."
Similarly all of the world's industrial wood could be produced on an area
that is less than 10
percent<http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/forestry/old_files/lectures/hall/2001sedjo/2001sedjo.html>of
the world's forested area today leaving 90 percent of the world's
forests
for Nature.

</snip>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravages