On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Deepa Mohan<mohande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> know any culture". I don't know whom to defy...should I be a def-iyer or a
> def-iyengar? Everyone seems to have their own "ethnic story" to support
> their own customs.

Serve them pork fried rice.

In my house we learned that leaving rice was a sin. You could maybe
leave other things if you were full but you should finish all your
rice. (My mother is Japanese.) My sweetie still teases me if she
catches me eating every last grain of rice from my bowl. I stopped
doing it for many years, but then we hosted various Zen buddhist monks
at our house in San Francisco, and I observed them not only eating
every last grain of rice, but then rinsing their rice bowl with tea
and drinking it to avoid wasting any of the food. It made me a little
ashamed of my own wasteful ways, so I've started trying to at least
eat all my rice.

-- Charles