On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Kiran K Karthikeyan <
kiran.karthike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are 12 steel (or any other material, the material is immaterial :) )
> balls (yes, I make it cubes when interviewing women) which were
> manufactured
> to be identical in every way and hence indistinguishable. However, one of
> them has a manufacturing defect and has either less or more weight that the
> other 11. Given a weighing scale (with no standard weights), you have to
> find out which of the balls is defective as well as whether it weighs
> lesser
> or more than the others.

It's a trick question. If the balls are indistinguishable, there is no way
to sort them out unless you place distinguishing marksor keep them in
distinguished containers - which would violate the starting conditions.

If an airline is thinking of extending an offer where those with miles can
> for a limited period book for twice the amount of miles they have in their
> account, what is the best time to do so (considering occupancy rates,
> costs,
> any other variable which might influence the decision).

Is this also a trick question? How do you book with more miles than you
have, unless the airline is advancing miles on credit? Smells like a bubble.

--
Aadisht Khanna