On Tuesday 08 Sep 2009 9:52:51 am Kiran K Karthikeyan wrote:
> There are 12 steel (or any other material, the material is immaterial :) )
> balls (yes, I make it cubes when interviewing women) which were
> manufactured to be identical in every way and hence indistinguishable.
> However, one of them has a manufacturing defect and has either less or more
> weight that the other 11. Given a weighing scale (with no standard
> weights), you have to find out which of the balls is defective as well as
> whether it weighs lesser or more than the others.

In India the exam system is like this.

You stuff a poor child's head with gobbledygook for a year or more and then
give him three hours to prove himself. Then use the result of that test to
tell him that he is not good in math or biology and that he need not bother
trying to enter a career that requires either.

The British invented this system (possibly in the 18th century)  I believe to
recruit people to work in their colonies - mainly India. And the rest is
history.

shiv