On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Lahar Appaiah <thew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> They used to have decent cricket coverage, and their crossword is
> legendary.

The Hindu crossword is legendary?....

I have a very cross word for it....LOUSY. Often there are Hindi words spelt
differently at different times, sometimes the answer has NO relevance to the
clue, sometimes the letters do not match on the across and down grid....I
remember once doing the crossword with a friend's father and him saying,
"Are you sure that is the answer? It makes no sense!" and I said "I know
this crossword, that will be the answer!" and sure enough, it was (can't
remember the exact word or phrase though.)

Someone remarked that cryptic crosswords seem to be a very British thing,
and I feel it's true.

If you want  good, general, witty crosswords, do the Deccan Herald and
Indian Express daily ones (the Economic Times one, which is from the Daily
Mail,  often has arcane, British references), I love the Deccan Herald
Saturday crosswords especially. Could someone tell me where the DH and IE
crosswords are from?

In this land of
nothing-but-straight-crosswords-with-unintelligble-American-references
("Actress Larsen of TV")..I print the DH and ET crosswords every day and
enjoy them. I must say, no one ever seems to take them seriously,
though...once in a while, the grid given won't match the crossword, and on
one memorbale occasion, the ET ran the same crossword 3 days running.

The Statesman crossword is so propahly British as to be boring...the Hindu
is, I think, the only Indian-composed cryptic crossword, and alas, it's of
poor quality (obviously, my opinion.)

Cheers, Deepa.