On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Nikhil Mehra <nikhil.mehra...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Shoba Narayan <narayan.sh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I LOVED God of Small Things.  It was magically written and beautifully
>> crafted.  As a piece of fiction, it is quite wonderful.
>>

> I thought GOST turgid in parts and good in others.

The thing with GOST is that your reaction to it is likely to depend on your
reading aesthetic. I happen to like clear, spare, functional prose, and
dislike the baroque expressionism of the likes of Roy and Rushdie. I see
style as being a slave to substance, and dislike prose that drives attention
to itself instead of driving the narrative, or which shows a fetish for
detail. But I accept that these things are a matter of personal taste -- and
I can see why someone who likes the more baroque stuff might like Roy. Her
prose in GOST is indeed 'magically written and beautifully crafted', as
Shoba writes. Some people like their food simple and subtly flavoured;
others pile on the masala and garnish elaborately. This is hardly worth
arguing about.

Her non-fiction, on the other hand, I dislike in terms of both style and
substance. The writing is overwrought, gimmicky (the tired capitalisations,
for example) and excessively hyperbolic -- and don't get me started on her
politics.

--
Amit Varma
http://www.indiauncut.com