On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Shoba Narayan <narayan.sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I could go point by point and refute everything the Indian Express article
> said.  We all know of older Indian aunties with necks that have threads of
> talcum powder.  I think GOST was more an autobiography than plagiarism.
>  Ammu seems based on Mary Roy, and Arundhati had a Bengali father, just like
> the book, who left them.  I haven't read Faulkner, all of Marquez or Lee.
>  Unlike the cool prose of Jhumpa Lahiri or Alice Munro, Roy's prose is spare
> but has so much passion.  Why does she evoke so much ire? The editor of
> Mint, Sukumar, said in some article and context which I have forgotten that
> many TamBrahm men use derision as a cloak to deal with life-- and this could
> be true of the critics of Roy.  Okay, so I am biased....but anyway....what's
> with the enough already and move along like Rhett? I thought Silk was to
> debate a topic ad nauseum.

Erm. I'm a Gujju, not a TamBram..... more seriously, there are several
problems with her writing. "Why don't I love thee? Let me count the
ways..."

Her causes aren't original - she gatecrashes as a latecomer, and moves
on when the next crisis beckons her (does anyone remember her struggle
against Narmada anymore? Medha Patkar doesn't fly from one cause to
another like a butterfly). Two, she connects the farthest dots to
create a scary Rorschach image, when Occam's Razor would've provided a
simpler explanation (OK, too many metaphors, but you get the drift).
So she's terrific for conspiracy theorists, but not of much value
besides. And three, there's nihilism in her writing, valorizing of
certain folks over others, and a congenital failure to see nuances -
witness her churlish, childish responses to BG Verghese on dams, her
shrill outburst against Ram Guha (who called her Arun Shourie of the
Left), and her ignoring the more serious criticism from Gail Omvedt.
That, and her hypocrisy: she has a home in a forest land in violation
of the Forest Act, and she did a huge song and dance about the
judiciary vis-a-vis Narmada, though she was warned she'd be jailed
under contempt of court laws (I don't like those laws, but that's a
different matter). She went to jail for one night, probably didn't
like the dal, and next day paid the fine and got out. She ain't no
Gandhi (the real one, not the pretenders).

I could go on.