On 15-06-2010 14:10, Udhay Shankar N wrote:

> So, what are your hardest books to read?
>
> Udhay

Books I've abandoned:

* The Gospel According to Jesus Christ
* The God of Small Things
* Don Quixote (is a huge pain to get through unabridged)

Books I've struggled to complete:

* Vanity Fair - the way the apin in TGA got to Sruthi, the unrelenting
contempt for humanity in this got to me
* Snow by Orhan Pamuk - moves horribly slowly in the beginning, and
speeds up only at the end - you keep wondering what the payoff is going
to be. Also, left me with the vague feeling that if I was Turkish myself
I'd find it cliched/ too full of stereotypes.

Books that I've finished but felt it wasn't worth the effort:
* Musharraff Ali Farooqi's translation of the Adventures of Amir Hamza -
the problem here is that almost every adventure is the same one. Amir
Hamza comes across a king, defeats him in single combat, and then either
kills him or converts him to the true faith. The perils of doing a
compilation of what're basically folktales / bedtime stories.

This list is by no means complete, but this is all I can remember right now.

--
Regards,

Aadisht
Email for lists: li...@aadisht.net