Deepa Mohan wrote
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Ramakrishnan Sundaram <r.sunda...@gmail.com <mailto:r.sunda...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I remember having this conversation with Shiv before my son, now 10,
    was born. It most certainly is true, at least in my case.

I have a question...why does this rewiring not work (it obviously doesn't) when the father does not accept responsibility for the child? Does the "re-wiring" only occur if the father is willing to acknowledge the child as his?...which would mean that the re-wiring only happens if the father is consciously willing to let it happen.

Just speculating here ... but the article says that "brain cell growth is strongly correlated to learning new things" so I would imagine that the fathers who split and leave their kids simply do not have the physical experience of raising a child. So, they do not get the extra brain cells that result from the experience. The key seems to be the direct experience, which in this case can be rather all-encompassing (and quite lovely) so I am not surprised you get a few new brains cells in the process. I surely did. :)

Jim