On 13-Oct-10 11:07 PM, Srini RamaKrishnan wrote:

> Very useful - thanks Udhay, so my hunch was right (Chip's description
> of the entire field can be summed up as pretentious wankers).

Not the entire field, but some members of it, certainly (which is fine,
recalling that 90% of *everything* is crap)

The relevant part of Chip's piece (written in 1993, but still fresh)

<quote>

So, what are we to make of all this? I earlier stated that my quest was to
learn if there was any content to this stuff and if it was or was not
bogus. Well, my assessment is that there is indeed some content, much of it
interesting. The question of bogosity, however, is a little more difficult.
It is clear that the forms used by academicians writing in this area go
right off the bogosity scale, pegging my bogometer until it breaks. The
quality of the actual analysis of various literary works varies
tremendously and must be judged on a case-by-case basis, but I find most of
it highly questionable. Buried in the muck, however, are a set of important
and interesting ideas: that in reading a work it is illuminating to
consider the contrast between what is said and what is not said, between
what is explicit and what is assumed, and that popular notions of truth and
value depend to a disturbingly high degree on the reader's credulity and
willingness to accept the text's own claims as to its validity.

Looking at the field of contemporary literary criticism as a whole also
yields some valuable insights. It is a cautionary lesson about the
consequences of allowing a branch of academia that has been entrusted with
the study of important problems to become isolated and inbred. The Pseudo
Politically Correct term that I would use to describe the mind set of
postmodernism is "epistemologically challenged": a constitutional inability
to adopt a reasonable way to tell the good stuff from the bad stuff. The
language and idea space of the field have become so convoluted that they
have confused even themselves. But the tangle offers a safe refuge for the
academics. It erects a wall between them and the rest of the world. It
immunizes them against having to confront their own failings, since any
genuine criticism can simply be absorbed into the morass and made
indistinguishable from all the other verbiage. Intellectual tools that
might help prune the thicket are systematically ignored or discredited.
This is why, for example, science, psychology and economics are represented
in the literary world by theories that were abandoned by practicing
scientists, psychologists and economists fifty or a hundred years ago. The
field is absorbed in triviality. Deconstruction is an idea that would make
a worthy topic for some bright graduate student's Ph.D. dissertation but
has instead spawned an entire subfield. Ideas that would merit a good solid
evening or afternoon of argument and debate and perhaps a paper or two
instead become the focus of entire careers.

Engineering and the sciences have, to a greater degree, been spared this
isolation and genetic drift because of crass commercial necessity. The
constraints of the physical world and the actual needs and wants of the
actual population have provided a grounding that is difficult to dodge.
However, in academia the pressures for isolation are enormous. It is clear
to me that the humanities are not going to emerge from the jungle on their
own. I think that the task of outreach is left to those of us who retain
some connection, however tenuous, to what we laughingly call reality. We
have to go into the jungle after them and rescue what we can. Just remember
to hang on to your sense of humor and don't let them intimidate you.

</quote>