From: Sruthi Krishnan <srukr...@gmail.com>
Sender: silklist-bounces+supriya.nair=gmail....@lists.hserus.net
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:55:23
To: <silklist@lists.hserus.net>
Subject: Re: [silk] The subaltern studies collective?

> Or more generally, I come across the Bengali (it is usually a Bengali)
> literary critic / thinker who spouts incomprehensible sentences such
> as "homeopathy of self abstraction" and I think to myself - what a
> wanker. I'm perhaps wrong because these are clearly educated and
> intelligent people who however seem to be members of a mutual
> admiration society. Do they actually get anything done? Wouldn't they
> get more stuff done if they didn't speak in incomprehensible tongues?

This kinda obscure stuff is what post-modern stuff is usually about.
Post-modernism was built on the might of intellectuals such as
Derrida, who relied on neologisms. Derrida's prose was referred to by
Foucault as "obscurantisme terroriste". The text is so obscure that
you can't figure out what it is, and if you can't the author says, you
are an idiot. :) Read this recently in a cute book on postmodernism.