very important clarifications! thank you.

i will not get into an extended discussion of the historiography of the
subaltern studies.
but the interested can refer to Sumit Sarkar' perceptive (and in my view
shot through with a certain ironic sadness) essay - "The Decline of the
Subaltern in Subaltern Studies" (collected in his book Writing Social
History).
this was written after his separation from the core editorial collective.
Towards the end of the essay, reflecting on varying fortunes of third world
scholarship in a first world academy and the entrenched euro-centrism of the
academia, he offers the observation: "Orientalism thrives at the very heart
of the anti-Orientalist brigade"

recently for a project, i re-read after many years Guha's "Elementary
Aspects of Peasant Insurgency in Colonial India" and was struck by the
prose, which was of register very different from what one generally expects
from post-colonial studies scholarship. accessible, of course, but also
marked, by, what shall i say, 'passion' (ya, can sound like a silly romantic
term) - trying to articulate a manifesto of sorts for a fresh engagement
with colonial history.

speaking of an against the grain reading of colonial archives, i am looking
forward to reading Mahmood Farooqui's recently published, "Besieged, Voices
from Delhi, 1857'

abhishek