On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Eva Jansen <jansen....@web.de> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am new at silk list, my name is Eva Jansen, I am a German PhD student
> writing on Naturopathy in South India. At the moment I am looking for
> information about the legal consequences of medical practisioning basically
> in Kerala but also in other South Indian states. I guess medical issues are
> handled statewise but I am not so sure. Does anybody know a lawyer or
> somebody else who can give me legal advice?
>
> I am happy about comments of any kind,
>
> Eva

Eva,

First of all, Welcome. I am not an expert on the topic, but as part of
our work (www.rtbi.in) we also do a lot of evaluation studies in Rural
and Emerging markets for business models around healthcare. So there
has been a bit of overlap with my work and this subject.

When it comes to Medical practice in India, the IMA - Indian Medical
Association - sets the rights and wrongs about what is acceptable and
not. You can visit http://www.ima-india.org/ - and its obvious from
the first thing on the website that going after illegal practitioners
has become their foremost task :)

They might have a local arm to get things done, but primarily this is
the body that manages such decisions (Eg. Telemedicine is in a grey
area of "Acceptable for now, for pilots" stage). They are a rather
uptight organization though.

Vijay

The Blog: www.vijayanand.name
Twitter: www.twitter.com/vijayanands