________________________________
From: ss <cybers...@gmail.com>
To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
Sent: Sunday, 28 August 2011, 18:09
Subject: Re: [silk] Why I love Hindi film music from the 50s and 60s.

On Sunday 28 Aug 2011 2:42:12 am Indrajit Gupta wrote:
> Ae Dil Mujhe Bataa De is one of my all-time favourites, in spite of its
>  obvious defects (notoriously that mid-section, where the singer goes La la
>  la la la la). Read on to find out why music from this period has a
>  peculiar appeal for me. It's personal; this was Geeta Dutt and Mohammed
>  Rafi and O. P. Nayyar, and a host of hit tunes which were such effortless
>  genre-benders (ouch! Did I really write that?). Others like the slower,
>  more poetic, probably more evocative numbers, but for me it was always
>  about these totally zingy numbers. Somehow, we can't seem to get that
>  rhythm and that beat back; maybe times have moved on, musical tastes have
>  changed, and I'm caught in a time-warp and can't move on. There could be
>  worse fates.

IG - here is your genre-bender for you on YouTube courtesy my Unkal Googal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKcaNydkNMg

While on the topic of genre benders I send you a link to a Polish song called
Szla dzieweczka. You will recognize the tune as soon as you hear it

http://www.youtube.com/cybersurg#p/f/6/-z7KtSGjLx0

For those who don;t have a clue - here is another version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AJBc9mGJJk

shiv

Thanks, Shiv.

I must introduce you to my friend Arup RoyChoudhary. Quite apart from sharing
some social and sociological views with you, he makes a pastime out of hunting
down east European antecedents to Hindi film tunes (one of his exploits was the
one you cited, but he has more than a dozen others). Of course, he stays off
the usual targets, like Mozart and the Isles of Capri.

Given his predilections, he has an affinity for Salil Chowdhury! But you seem
to be on the same track. I am copying this mail to him, just to stir him up.

I LIKE the Isles of Capri, or O My Darling Clementine, for that matter; and
most of the tunes 'arranged', as the article shows, were familiar tunes in
other contexts, in this case, with the Goans involved, with baila or fado.

Might be a nice idea for a lazy day to run a spot-the-original contest.