From: Chew Lin Kay <chewlin....@gmail.com>
To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
Sent: Thursday, 10 November 2011, 18:10
Subject: Re: [silk] Query on Indian-made wines

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:

My take: there is certainly a lot of bullshit involved (and some amount of
self-deception, as the various studies show).

>My point? There are certainly people who can detect (and can be trained to
>detect) nuances in stuff (taste impressions, smell impressions, etc). It makes
>as little sense to call the entire wine appreciation thing false, as to call
>all of it true. :)

So my takeaway so far is:

a) drink Indian wines if I have nothing else to drink (with an undressed-salad
as backup)

b) drink Indian wines just to see what they are like

c) experience before reading--since Udhay brought up perfume, I thought I'd
extend the idea. When I first started learning to differentiate between what I
enjoyed and what I didn't, I had to make the conscious effort to sniff before I
read (perfume notes, reviews, etc), otherwise I'd find myself trying to like
something because I should, and not because I actually did. Similarly with wine
and other things, because they can be such great social signifiers.

Invitation of drinkies for Silklisters passing through SG stands, though now we
will blind-taste, in black glasses.

CL