From: Chew Lin Kay <chewlin....@gmail.com>
Sender: silklist-bounces+anish.mohammed=gmail....@lists.hserus.net
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:15:07
To: silklist<silklist@lists.hserus.net>
Subject: [silk] Niall Ferguson v Pankaj Mishra: battle of the historians

Link to Mishra's review of Ferguson's latest book here:
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n21/pankaj-mishra/watch-this-man

 http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/nov/14/niall-ferguson-pankaj-mishra

  Niall Ferguson v Pankaj Mishra: battle of the historians

The two academics are having a spat. Is it time for them to step outside
and settle it once and for all?

   - [image: Patrick Barkham]<http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/patrickbarkham>
   -
      - Patrick Barkham <http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/patrickbarkham>
      - guardian.co.uk <http://www.guardian.co.uk/>, Monday 14 November
      2011 20.00 GMT
      -  larger <http://www.guardian.co.uk/help/accessibility> |
smaller<http://www.guardian.co.uk/help/accessibility>

 [image: Mishra v Ferguson]
It's Mishra v Ferguson Photograph: Corbis; Christian Sinibalde

It is shaping up to be the tastiest historical scrap since Rob Newman's
comedy professor character compared the girlfriend of David Baddiel's don
to Peter Beardsley. The warring academics, beloved of 1990s students for
their "that's you, that is <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UMedd03JCA>"
repartee, have made way for Niall
Ferguson<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/niall-ferguson> and
Pankaj Mishra, after the latter likened Ferguson to Tom Buchanan in the
Great Gatsby.

As with all the best academic spats, spectators are advised to equip
themselves with a dictionary and a
history<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/history> degree
to follow the action.

Mishra, the Indian author and essayist, argued in the London Review of
Books<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n21/pankaj-mishra/watch-this-man> that
Ferguson was "homo atlanticus redux", a "retailer of emollient tales about
the glorious past" whose books "are known less for their original scholarly
contribution than for containing some provocative counterfactuals". Summing
up Ferguson's latest tome, Civilisation: The West and the Rest, as
"gallimaufry", Mishra accused the TV historian and Harvard scholar of
ignoring facts that complicate his narrative of Western dominance, such as
Muslim contributions to science. Ferguson's acknowledgment of colonial
misdeeds was "very selective" and he was "immune ... to humour and irony".

Ferguson responded with a letter to the "notoriously left-leaning" coterie
at the LRB, raging that Mishra's critique was "a crude attempt at character
assassination" <http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n21/pankaj-mishra/watch-this-man> that
"mendaciously misrepresents my work but also strongly implies that I am a
racist". Mishra, huffed Ferguson, "owes me a public apology" for his
"libellous and dishonest article".

It briefly looked as if Mishra would pour cold water on the flames.
"Ferguson is no racist," he responded, before laying into his
"pathological" instinct to "bow down before the conqueror of the moment"
and tendency to say "whatever seems resonant and persuasive at any given
hour". Time to settle this in court/the playground/outside?

   - © 2011 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies.
   All rights reserved.