What coinage from the Indus Valley Civilisation?

________________________________
 From: Sriram ET. <karra....@gmail.com>
To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
Sent: Friday, 18 November 2011 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: [silk] Niall Ferguson v Pankaj Mishra: battle of the historians

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Biju Chacko <biju.cha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I rather enjoyed reading "The Ascent of Money" -- as a layman I found
>it informative. I'd be interested to know which bits he got wrong.
>Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of material in this area
>aimed at the general reader.

I read the book a few months back enjoyed it as well. It was written in an easy
language and at just the right level of detail I was willing to tolerate.
However I was disappointed by how little of India featured in the book. Not a
passing mention of coinage from the Indus Valley Civilization, either. But the
guy has to leave out stuff and play to the american readership. So this can be
overlooked.

More recently I picked up another book - The Confessions of An Economic Hit
Man, by John Perkins - a book cited by Ferguson when he talks about the idea of
an American Economic Empire. A central theme of Perkins' book is a claim that
American interests were served by targeting resource rich, or otherwise
strategic, developing countries and luring the leaders into deals which would
burden the countries with un-repayable debt. Two leaders who stood up to this
pressure Omar Torrijos of Panama and Jamie Roldos of Ecuador; both died violent
deaths, and Perkins claims was the handiwork of american agents.

Now, what is relevant to this thread is not the actual case of Torrijos or
whether the EHM theory is fact or conspiracy.

What really irked me is how Ferguson dismissed Perkins by reeling off debt
figures and US exports to these countries in 1990, and concluding that these
figure are 'hardly worth killing for'. He completely misses Perkins point of
how strategic the canal was in the larger scheme of things in Torrijos time,
how Torrijos was cozying up with the Japanese with plans of a larger canal -
touted to be the largest engineering work ever undertaken, and how Torrijos
posed the threat of becoming an example for others around the world - all
strategic reasons that Perkins talks about in his book, but are not captured in
the 2 numbers Ferguson cites to reach his conclusion.

Yes, this is only one small example, but for me, having read the source
material cited here, the manner in which Ferguson has researched Perkins'
thesis and presented to his readers does not inspire any confidence.