On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Thaths <tha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What have you read over the last year that has left a mark on you?
> What are you eagerly looking forward to reading over the Christmas/New
> Year's holidays?

Here is what I had on my shelf when I visited India last month (Don't
judge me, some books were just lying around the house. I did not pick
them up myself):

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/318464_10150339978386099_563651098_8289077_1481966270_n.jpg

My recommendations:

* Day Scholar by Siddharth Chowdhury (I would read all 3 of his books,
but thats just me I think. YMMV)
* The Vedic People by Rajesh Kochchar (Controversial, but concise and
well-written)
* Songs of Kabir by Arvind Krishna Mehrotra (Beautiful translations of
poems, not the standard Doha fare)
* The Beast by Syed Muhammad Ashraf (published originally in Urdu as
Numbedar ka Neela)

Second-hand recommendations (havent read them yet):

* The Muddy River by P.A. Krishnan
* Do You Suppose It’s The East Wind? : Stories From Pakistan (Edited
and Translated by Muhammad Umar Memon)
* Nothing is Blue by Biman Nath (The summary is intriguing:
http://www.flipkart.com/books/8172237251 )