My favourite book this year was Neera Adarkar's brilliant anthology,
Galleries of Life: The Chawls of Mumbai. Of more general interest, I
thought Aman Sethi's A Free Man was outstanding, as will Naresh Fernandes'
Taj Mahal Foxtrot (out later this month) be. Also, if you enjoy poetry you
may like Ranjit Hoskote's translations of the Kashmiri poet Lalla/Lal Arifa
- I, Lalla.

I second the recommendations for Mehrotra's Kabir and for River of Smoke
(if you've read Sea of Poppies).

I thought Mohammed Hanif's Our Lady of Alice Bhatti and Shehan
Karunatilaka's Chinaman were both flawed but great books, and entertaining
from start to finish.

And you will probably come by these more easily in the West, but I also
loved Hanan al-Shaykh's One Thousand and One Nights, Binyavanga Wainaina's
One Day I Will Write About This Place, and Teju Cole's Open City.

Supriya