Well, as for south asia, what does saarc stand for, pray?

------Original Message------
From: ss
Sender: silklist-bounces+suresh=hserus....@lists.hserus.net
To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
ReplyTo: silklist@lists.hserus.net
Subject: Re: [silk] Recommended Reading from 2011
Sent: Dec 3, 2011 19:43

On Saturday 03 Dec 2011 7:31:32 pm Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> portuguese, who had colonies in south america (though certainly not mexico)
> and also in the far east (goa, macau, manila..)
>
> There's a significant portuguese influence on japanese cuisine (tempura,
> baozi = pao farm bread = pav as in pav bhaji), and in indian - well, goan
> as well (vindaloo, xacuti etc)

That is very clear sir. My unkal Googal has confirmed that, and much more.

The point I am making is that every story on the internet that quote the
origin of tihs lady says she was from India. There is not a single reference
to South Asia in any of the refernces to the name that I found. There is one
source that clams a Mongolian origin. Most say she wore a sari. She was
converted to Christianity in Cochin. One source says she wore a Rajasthani
Ghagra.

The question is if you hear the words "Sari" and "Cochin" and birth possibly
in Northern India, why would anyone want to put the origin of this person down
as South Asian? Exactly what is South Asia?

shiv

--
srs (blackberry)