On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 9:58 PM, John Sundman <j...@wetmachine.com> wrote:

> What's odd, depressing, and curiously interesting to me is that although
> there are people in this country from all over the globe, Americans with
> virtually every genetic marker borne by humans on earth, the "race
> question" in the USA pretty much still revolves around "black" and
> "white"'; that is, European and African. Really, it's as if people who came
> from (or whose ancestors came from) India, North America, China, Japan,
> Viet Nam, Laos, Mexico, Peru, Indonesia, etc, etc, etc don't even exist
> when the subject of "Race in America" comes up.

Yes - I see the same thing.

I'm a standard-issue caucasian  American (4 generations ago all of my
ancestors came from County Cork, Ireland). My daughter is Chinese. When she
was 5 we read to her the story of Rosa Parks and how she refused to give up
her seat and move to the back of the bus. My daughter's question: if she
was there - where on the bus could she sit? She's neither black nor white.

We didn't know so we asked her kindergarten teacher (who is
Chinese-American). Her teacher didn't know so she called up her father in
New York. He said that no one knew - which made it too dangerous for the
Chinese in the US to travel outside of major cities. Some people would
classify you as white and others as black and all would treat you horribly
if you didn't behave according to the role that they had assigned to you.
So he just stayed in NYC for the 1950s.

It's amazing (and depressing) that these rules existed (and still exist in
mutated forms) but they are so undefined (well.. they are defined
retroactively when transgressed). What a mess.