On Tuesday 05 Jun 2012 12:58:41 pm thew...@gmail.com wrote:
> Standards have fallen, though.

That actually depends on whose standards you consider as the "right
standards". Indian school children of the "shiv in Poona" class (and tens of
thousands of others)  were taught that "Ye olde Britishe Public schoole" was
the standard to follow. Typically they liked Wodehouse.

But the bunch I was thrown with after I joined Medical college, all of whom
scored marks near the top of a competitive entrance exam, mostly did not like
Wodehose or English classics. Decades on they are none the worse for their
ignorance of what was considered "essential" in my own schooling.

But funnily enough, my own friends circle today  seems to include those very
Wodehouse fans of that era, and fewer of those who did not like Wodehouse,
suggesting to me that this sort of education also imbued a kind of "Old School
Network"/Public School Caste like personality on many of us.

shiv