We ought to have some modern day professor henry higgins on silk ..

--
srs (blackberry)

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com>
Sender: silklist-bounces+suresh=hserus....@lists.hserus.net
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 14:03:36
To: <silklist@lists.hserus.net>
Subject: Re: [silk] How the Woosters captured Delhi

It’s awfully nice that in the British Isles, there’s still a vigorous
ecosystem of regional and class accents; and it pleases me that the
BBC lets non-RP-speakers on the air. If you watch Al-Jazeera English
(and you should) they have this shiny-black-skinned gent who gives the
world weather in the most outrageously plummy
upper-crust-English-via-the-Caribbean imaginable; one can’t not smile.
To my ear the most pleasing of English accents is
educated-black-South-African (white-SA is nice too) and the original
Colorado accent, now being swept away, like most other regional US
Englishes outside of the deep South.

 -T