On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:16 PM, ss <cybers...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 16 Jul 2012 10:51:01 am Deepak Misra wrote:
> > ou disapprove in principle of Readers Digest or Udhay giving them ??
> No that was a joke. I used to enjoy Reader's Digest very much in the 60s
> and
> in the 70s the Indian edition paid for the education of a classmate of
> mine -
> also a very close friend, because his father was the publisher. But after
> the
> 80s it seemed to lose its magic. After that it seemed to me that RD was
> just a
> load of "raddi paper"
>
> shiv

I personally found RD a very sophisticated version of a soviet magazine.  I
think it was called Sputnick but maybe Sputnick was a clone of SPAN which
was published by USIS.
In any case, RD was a subtle propaganda for the American way of life. Yes
you are right that deterioration started soon.

What is interesting with the old issues is the advertisements from those
days.

Deepak