On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Deepak Misra <dee...@deepakmisra.com>wrote:

> I was having at a look at this site and it looks quite interesting for
> Indian users. The only scary issue here is the sharing of passwords for
> bank accounts etc. HOwever without the automatic refresh of accounts the
> tools is not that all powerful.

I confess I haven't looked at Perfios. But from your description it sounds
like a service like Mint. I have not joined Mint precisely because of my
worry about what would happen to the dozens of my accounts if (when?)
someone compromises Mint.

The ideal solution for this problem is if all financial institutions
(banks, credit cards, mutual funds, demat accounts, etc.) used oAuth and
application-specific passwords. Seeing how little progress these
institutions have made in the last 10 years, I do not hold much hope for
this happening in the next 5 years.

In the meantime, the most secure (albeit, very manual) way of analyzing
your finances is desktop-based software such as gnu finance or quicken.

Thaths
--
Homer: Hey, what does this job pay?
Carl:  Nuthin'.