On 10-Jan-2013, at 23:07, Indrajit Gupta <bonoba...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Ah! With this, the mystery thins. Our resident linguist has been reading
> Perez-Reverte in Spanish: just the sneaky sort of thing she would do.
> Unfortunately, I have been reading the English translations, and there are
> several remaining untranslated.
>
> bonobashi

Amazon has the lot .. Spanish, English, whatever in kindle format. And kindle
readers are available free for the PC, Mac, iPad, android etc. so what I don't
have in paperback (and landmarkonthenet.com has some) i have in kindle format.

Back to the movie, I wish they didn't pack that many books into it.  It opens
with a superbly shot night raid wading through water, which is actually the
beginning of 'the sun over Breda' but is changed to be the same battle where
inigo's father is killed and where he saves the life of the count of
guadalmedina.

Then it goes through events from captain alatriste, the hills over Breda, the
king's gold, the cavalier in the yellow doublet .. But doesn't pay as much
attention to malatesta's character, even removing the leitmotiv he uses in the
books (that snatch of opera he always whistles).  Hen goes into the future a
bit (quevedo arrested for scurrilious verses against the king and sent to the
San Marcos prison, the one for royal traitors that malatesta is originally sent
to in the books, whereas here the assassination plot against the king is
removed, inigo kills him in a duel .. and finally the tercio decimated at
rocroi, with the camera freezing on Alatriste as he makes a last suicidal stand
against oncoming cavalry.

If hey had just stopped at the king's assassination plot and added the rocroi
scenes as a footnote, and developed the fray Emilio bocanegra character
(creepily, superbly played by a woman in this movie) it would have been far
better.  Bocanegra fades out of the picture after releasing Alatriste and then
sending malatesta after him early on in the movie, after the aborted
assassination of the prince of wales and duke of buckingham.

 And instead of Anjelica de Alquezar finally killed by Inigo, she is shown as
actually loving him but preferring to marry Guadalmedina for his money and
title, and Alatriste pleads with her to get inigo off the galley he has been
sentenced to for spying for France (which of the books is that in?  I don't
remember any such story, though there is one in the yellow doublet book i
think, where bocanegra almost succeeds in condemning inigo to the galleys, only
prevented by quevedo going to Luis de Alquezar's hometown and bringing back his
birth certificate which shows Jewish ancestry, and blackmailing him with it)

--srs (iPad)