I thought this report released at the World Future Energy Summit really
interesting:
http://wwf.panda.org/wwf_news/?207268/Solar-PV-power-in-harmony-with-nature--new-WWF-report-says-land-requirements-are-insignificant

Apparently, by 2050, we could be generating 100% of global energy requirements
through Solar, using just 1% of earth's land surface. Among the locations
surveyed in the study is the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh.

There have been several dubious claims in the last few years about how Solar
energy takes up ludicrous amounts of land, usually without any credible sources
cited - this report is a refreshing step in the right direction. While no
expert, I understand the main reason wind is taking precedence over solar as
the alternate energy source of choice at the moment is the relatively higher
cost of photo voltaic panels.

Can we imagine a world free from the dependence on coal and petrochemicals?
Just think of the geo-political consequences...

cheers
Divya